Friday, August 12, 2005

Politician Comes Out Of The Closet

This is brilliant:
Mayor of Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman told a group of fourth graders on Monday that if he was marooned on a desert island the one thing he would want to have with him is a bottle of gin.
And when a student quizzed Goodman about his hobbies he replied that “drinking” was one of them, said Mackey Elementary School Principal Kamala Washington, who was present for the mayor’s visit.
Goodman was unapologetic for his comments that came during his visit to the elementary school in North Las Vegas.
“I’m the George Washington of mayors. I can’t tell a lie. If they didn’t want the answer the kid shouldn’t have asked the question,” Goodman said. “It’s me, what can I do?”
When critized for telling the truth, Goodman later testily told a City Hall press conference that he was “proud” he told the truth.
“I will not lie when I give an answer. I’m not going to say I’m going to bring a teddy bear to the island, or I’m going to bring the Bible to the island,” the mayor said. “I’m not going to lie to anyone because that’s not Oscar Goodman. But sometimes you can’t tell the truth because of the people with whom you are speaking.”
Asked if he thought he had a drinking problem, Goodman said: “Absolutely not. No. I love to drink.”
Fantastic! Just look at history. Look who makes things happen. Think of all the great leaders, artists and thinkers who've been pinch-mouthed teetotalers. Think of any of them who've been lemonade weenies. It may just be that the story of human civilisation is the story of booze.

So why are we so defensive ?

The drunk of today is the inheritor of a glorious tradition stretching back to the dawn of time. It's the weasel-faced creeps and weirdos who stay sober that should be hanging their heads in shame. If human civilisation is the story of the quest for hooch, what does that make them ? Not just parasites, but ungrateful whiny little rats, enjoying the benefits of modern life while disparaging the many noble soaks throughout the ages whose drinking has made it all possible.

I'd say more, but have you seen the time ?

No comments: